This week our Year 5 and 6 pupils spent the morning at Worksop College to experience what life is like at senior school.
After breakfast, Y6 pupils during the STEM (disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics) morning firstly looked at the different ways that paper can be strengthened.
This lead on to using a limited amount of resources (A4 paper, A4 card, plastic straws, newspaper and cellotape) to create a bridge structure. Many different designs were produced and the two leading groups supported 1.5kg each!
Year 5 pupils, during their life at a senior school morning addressed the idea of school transition and the move from primary to secondary school. They took part in activities and discussions centred on the following:
- Why do they have to move from primary to secondary school?
- What are the advantages of moving from primary to secondary school?
- What are the disadvantages of moving from primary to secondary school?
- What have they heard from other people about secondary school?
- The things they are most looking forward to when moving from primary to secondary school
- The things they are most worried about when moving from primary to secondary school
- The opportunities on offer when moving from primary to secondary school
- The things they would most like to know about secondary school
After these discussions, each group produced a poster for future Y5 pupils in order to provide them with information about school transition.